The history of what came to be and how 'The Live Edge' grounded itself is all from looking at the past, in understanding the roots and foundation of the beginning in order to understand the establishment we are now.
CANADA DAY HISTORY TIDBIT #1: The first recorded guests were in June 1947
The History of 'The Lodge' to now 'The Live Edge' and 'The Inn at Gore Bay'
Before 'The Live Edge' was created and renovated, this original name of this place was Gordon's Lodge. The founders of Gordon's Lodge were Ronie and Lizzie Gordon, later to be taken over by Doug Gordon, and now owned by Martian Properties.
After the Second World War Ronie Gordon wanted to come back to Gore Bay to establish a tourist operation, where land was purchased on the east side of the Bay from the Fell Family and from Chas Wright. In order to build the camps, the lumber was taken off property into 'Billings Township', which is where Ronie's father, James Gordon' had originally settled.
The logs were cut during the winter where a horse and sleigh brought them to Bakers Mill in Kagawong. It was Angus McDougall and Ronie who cut the logs and had the lumber refined in Gore Bay. The camps were built by a crew of about 5-6 men, where Angus also took part in the construction, and Ronie took part in the business aspect. Furnishings for the camps arrived by boat and were ordered from Eatons, which attracted a lot of attention in such a small town.
Fun fact: We are talking about the year in 1947, so back then the establishment had 2 notable ice boxes and out-houses. The ice was stored in an ice house on the Dave Glen property (located near the bridge below Claire Wilson's home)
The lodge was established around 1945/1946, but the first recorded guests were in June 1947, where there was a 'Grand Opening Chicken Dinner'. The original camps attracted guests who were sports fisherman with their families, probably due to the location of being on the water, and Lizzie's home cooked meals helped bring in business.
As business grew, so did staff being added for the lodge and camps, however Lizzie still had most of the control over the lodge (and meals). The original sport fishing cliental through the years changed as renovations increased, with more motel type accommodations being added, which allowed for a wider cliental, business travellers and special functions, to be added to the attraction. The original operation was seasonal too, which we are today.
A memory from Doug Gordon: "As business grew guides were added to the boat; I remember one of the guides, Ben Anwitin would never use the gas stove for dinners. He insisted instead on making a natural fire from wood".
From 1947 to 2018, 'The Inn at Gore Bay' and 'The Live Edge' have come along way from ice-boxes, using well-water and out-houses, however what is interesting to note is that the renovations kept the beautiful refurbished floors, which adds to the rustic charm, and we have kept the home-made cooking just like Lizzie. C.M.W
Credit for the original history information used above: The Recorder, who did a 12-page insert on May 20th, 1987. Thank you Laurie Bartlett for sending the pages of information to us!